*Thank you for everyone who gave my Workout Wednesday suggestions, I will try to do them in the coming weeks!*
Workout: I kept up my tradition of doing my long run during the week and set a new personal distance record today.. 12 miles! This is the longest run on my training schedule..only 3 weeks and 2 days until race time. Next weekend I have a 10 mile race then we are doing a taper long run, then the race. Today’s run was not easy by any means but it did make me confident that I would be able to finish this half under 2 hours..splits were..
- 9:28 –> half a gu and 1 minute walking break
- 9:19 –> 1 minute walking break
- 9:15 –> other half of a gu and 1 minute walking break
I feel good about this time because I included all of my walking breaks, and it looks like if I didn’t take any of them I would have stayed under 9 minute pace easily the whole time, and that is my goal! I am also glad I managed to start off slow which I have struggled with.
I also wore a fuel belt for the first time, not sure of the brand because I borrowed it from a client and I think she changed the actual belt part of it out. It was SO ANNOYING, but yet so helpful. Once I got used to the bottles and the bouncing I was glad to have it ( I just had 2 small bottles either 6 or 8 oz one with water and one with Gatorade). I did a much better job drinking and taking fuel this long run and I felt SO much better than after my 11 mile run.
And now 3 random thoughts for 3 Thing Thursday!
1. I have recently gone to a new level of laziness with my breakfast. At least 3 mornings a week I have a Chobani yogurt and a packet of oatmeal for breakfast. I have to use instant because I don’t have access to a microwave at work so I just mix it with hot water. I used to bring a bowl or piece of Tupperware to make my oatmeal in, but then I discovered I could just use my Chobani container. Now the question is..how bad is that?! Someone pointed that out yesterday how bad it is to put hot things in plastic. I don’t think it’s that bad since I am not putting it in the microwave..just adding hot water. Any opinions?!
2. Let’s talk organic. Now I normally don’t purchase anything organic because 1. I can’t afford it and 2. I don’t typically shop at organic food stores regularly. But then when I see strawberries like this..
I wonder how many chemicals went into making this massive strawberry that is apparently growing its own small nub! I don’t know if the picture does it justice but the last container of strawberries I bought were literally the biggest berries I have ever seen in my life. That makes me think there is something unnatural about them.
3. I love reading other runners blogs and hearing about their training. One thing I have noticed without fail is that everyone talks about their crazy hunger after long runs..until today I have NEVER felt this. I normally don’t feel like eating at all after my long runs, give me a 5 mile tempo and I’ll eat for days, but 10 + miles? No food sounds good. But apparently 12 is the magical number because today I was STARVING. I came home and immediately made a huge glass of milk with a scoop of protein powder. After stretching, icing, and showering I was so hungry I could barely move..so I did what any normal person does who lives 1 block away from whole foods..go get some deliciousness!
1 slice of spinach, garlic and Gorgonzola pizza, a massive container of tomato basil soup and a huge roll.
It was yum yum in my tum!
What is your favorite food to buy at the whole foods hot bar?
Are you an all organic purchaser?
What do you think of using hot water in a plastic yogurt container..am I going to get cancer?