Have any questions about fitness or working out? As a certified Personal Trainer I would be happy to help you out!
Questions I’ve been asked:
1. I’m wanting to start running more. How should I start doing that? (From Kathleen)
- My best advice for someone who wants to start running more is to decide on a goal. Whether it’s signing up for a race or to run for 30 minutes straight it is much easier to start running when you have a goal in mind. Then develop a running plan. It doesn’t have to be super intense but it should have the basics, how many days a week you want to try and run and what your goal for that workout should be. This is going to depend on where you are starting from. If you are starting from no running at all, try and develop a walk/running plan where you walk/run 3 times a week. Start with even 1 minute walking 1 minute running intervals then work your way up. If you already have been running and want to start increasing your distance then try adding one longer run in per week (ie if you typically run 3 miles 2x a week, try running 2 miles, 3 miles, then 4 miles and then each week slowly increase your longer runs).
2. How Often Do You Workout? (From Kathleen)
-I work out anywhere from 4-6 days a week depending on the week. I’d say normal is five times a week. Usually I work out Monday-Friday and then sometimes go running on Saturdays. I work at a fitness center but it is far from my home so I almost never go to a gym on the weekends
3. What Do You Like to Do to Workout? (From Kathleen)
-My workouts tend to vary depending on whether or not I am training for something. Right now I am training for a half marathon so I have been running 3-4x a week, cross training on the elliptical 1-2x a week and then strength training 1-2x a week. Non-running days usually consist of 30-60 min doing elliptical intervals and weight training and then running days depends on what is on my training schedule. Some of my favorite workout equipment is the TRX suspension trainer and the BOSU ball.
4. What is Your Favorite Health Food? Food Philosophy? (From Kathleen)
-I don’t necessarily have a favorite health food, but I LOVE all types of fruit. Favorites would be bananas, apples, and strawberries. My food philosophy is very laid back. I try and eat health most the time but I am by not means great at it. I don’t eat enough veggies and have plenty of sugar so I am trying to incorporate more veggies to help balance out my cookie/cupcake/candy intake. I always try to eat in moderation and eat small meals throughout the day. I am not trying to lose weight or gain weight so I am not overly concerned with calories right now.